Malema’s secret millions… and more
On Sunday 24 July, the City Press newspaper released a 3-page spread on various Malema issues that have needed to be said for some time now – only lacked a mouth piece. This situation they remedied by finding the accurate corroboration to their articles on how Malema is funding such a lavish lifestyle that could afford a R16-million house in Sandton.
So the “champion of the poor” or “Robin Hood” it seems has been using political favour to grant tenders to the value of R200-million to Limpopo business interests, and in return he gets a “commission fee” off these deals. See City Press article for full details on this “secret fund” – http://www.citypress.co.za/SouthAfrica/News/Malemas-secret-fund-20110723
The company who is apparently funding this lavish lifestyle is MPPJ Property Development. The boss, Matome Hlabioa, has bragged recently about his own lavish lifestyle and having donated a Range Rover to Malema. But I think “donated” can be taken with a pinch of salt, as these lucrative contracts were awarded to the company recently (A.K.A since Malema took office in 2008):
The Limpopo contracts MPPJ won include:
» A R115 million housing tender to complete 2 981 low- cost houses in Mopani and Waterberg district municipalities in Limpopo in the 2007/08 financial year;
» A R15.4 million tender in the Waterberg district municipality in 2007;
» A R3.35 million tender from Public Works for work in the Greater Giyani district in 2008;
» A R11.6 million housing tender for the Mogalakwena local municipality for 300 units in the 2008/09 financial year;
» A R12.9 million tender for additions and renovations at a primary school last year;
» A R15.9 million tender for work at another primary school last year; and
» A R38.2 million housing tender for 700 units in Greater Marble Hall local municipality, also during last year. See http://www.citypress.co.za/SouthAfrica/News/This-is-how-Juju-rolls-20110723 on “How Juju rolls”.
A trust account was created that same year called the Ratanang Family Trust, named after his son. City Press reported that “The source, who has business interests across the province, says the trust’s account is held by Absa. His company previously deposited R200 000 into the account as a reward to Malema after he negotiated a tender for him. […]The source believed “millions” pass through that account a year. He says while the trust is being used largely to fund Malema’s lifestyle, it is not his only source of income because some business people and politicians pay cash. ” That would explain paying R78 000 in cash for a luxury holiday. He also apparently paid cash for his own farm in Limpopo, which – wait for it – is under land claim review itself. ha ha!
The source has remained anonymous but confirmed the existence of the trust account. See http://www.citypress.co.za/SouthAfrica/News/Source-confirms-existence-of-Jujus-family-trust-and-its-modus-operandi-20110723
Then, in a press conference held Monday 25 July, Malema’s spokespeople denied such allegations, stating that the fund is actually used for charitable ventures and not personal wealth. But the City Press evidence says to the contrary – perhaps why no one is taking it seriously.
AfriForum – the group responsible for taking Malema to court over a hate speech case in recent months – has lodged a formal complaint against him over alleged corruption charges. These are criminal charges, so will be taken with utmost scrutiny and severity.
COPE (The Congress of the People) have asked that the “thug” Malema has charges brought against him immediately. The DA (Democratic Alliance) has been insisting that a lifestyle audit by the South African Revenue Service be conducted for some time now. And, best of all, COSATU (the trade union association inSouth Africa) has demanded the same. So now, Malema can’t mouth off about racism, because people from all walks are demanding the same level of justice.
In fact, the ANC ruling party itself has demanded answers. Malema sure is in the spotlight now! Yesterday during the press conference, Malema himself tweeted, “Funny that only white journalist are asking questions at this #Malema press conference. Follow hashtag for details.”
Below is the Youth League’s official response – but before you read it, let me just say that towards the bottom where it’s stated that the Public Protector has proved them wrong – this is absolutely not true! I honestly don’t know where they got that drivel from, but there you have it. A dictator’s relationship with truth and sanity is always a strained one.
My last question: How you gonna get out of this one Juju??
ANC Youth League statement on the allegations of a secret fund for ANC Youth League President Julius Malema
25 July 2011
The ANC Youth League has noted reports about allegations of a ‘secret fund’ of ANC Youth League President Julius Malema as reported in various newspapers, particularly the City Press. In these reports, newspaper seek to suggest that there has been wrong –doing on the part of ANC Youth League President in establishing a Trust.
The Ratanang Family Trust is not a secret fund and all honest media and South Africans are fully aware that it is not a secret fund. When ANC Youth League President Julius Malema opened the church built by money from the Trust with President Jacob Zuma in 2009, it was openly communicated and displayed that the church was built by the Ratanang Family Trust. In many occasions, President Julius Malema has contributed to building of houses for poor families, bought school shoes and many teaching and learning support materials for many poor children across the country.
The President of the ANC Youth League has on several occasions assisted orphanages, contributed to the education of students in Universities and bought wheelchairs for needy and physically disabled children in Ikwezi Lokusa in the Eastern Cape. In all these instances, the resources used to help needy and poor citizens came from the Ratanang Family Trust, which is not a secret fund; because it is openly displayed in some of the work it has helped on. If the Trust was a secret Trust as alleged, it could have not been openly displayed on Church officially opened by President Zuma in front of all media.
The Ratanang Family Trust is registered with the Master of High Court, South African Revenue Services (SARS) and is tax compliant. As far as we are concerned, the Master of High Court does not register secret funds and President Julius Malema would not have registered as a trustee if the Trust was a secret fund. If there is any wrong doing on the part of the Trust, ANC Youth League President is open and ready for investigations by SARS and any other law enforcement agencies. If there are citizens who believe that there is wrong-doing, they should report such to the Law enforcement agencies and not to Newspapers. All this should never be done to achieve narrow political scores, like some right-wing formations have already started.
ANC Youth League President instructed his Lawyers to interdict the report about the Trust, because he was convinced that it was not necessary to write about his personal finances, a message communicated in the Press Conference called to respond to allegations of a R16 million house. The ANC Youth League is of the conviction that personal finances are private and media should respect that and if there are suspicions of wrong doing, every citizen has a right to bring that to the attention of Law enforcement agencies.
The ANC Youth League is fully behind President Julius Malema and has no reason to doubt anything he is doing, because we are aware of and highly appreciate the political, organisational, ideological and social responsibility work he has been doing since 2008. President Julius Malema remains the Commander in Chief of Economic Freedom Fighters and will soldier on until all economic liberties are attained. Attempts to discredit ANC Youth League President by the City Press and the Journalist responsible have in the past dismally failed and reprimanded by the Press Ombudsman and officially proven wrong by the Public Protector for spreading lies and unfounded rumours.
In the ruling he presented on the City Press Newspaper reports that happened between February and September 2009, the Press Ombudsman came to the judgment that the City Press newspaper “is reprimanded for:
Using a front page picture to portray a misleading message; and
Inaccurate reporting that bridges were washed away”.
The recent reports and allegations of a secret trust will once again be dismissed and reprimanded, because they are not a reflection of reality.
The allegations of the City Press and other Newspapers have exposed to the ANC Youth League who our genuine allies are, and who are people who are gullible and can easily buy into the agenda of right-wing media instruments, used to question the leadership of the ANC Youth League because of the issues the organisation raises. The ANC Youth League is fully aware that all these allegations are an attempt to divert our attention from the issues we are raising, particularly on Nationalisation of Mines and expropriation of land without compensation. These are issues we will continue to raise without fear or favour and we will never retreat because victory is certain.